LAN : Local Area Network
- It is limited over an area within radii of 10-500m
- It can be used in a single office, lab, buliding, small campus etc.
- It is ,commonly, based on Star or Bus topology using Ethernets.
MAN : Metropolitan Area Network
- It spans a city or a very large campus restricted within 10kMs.
- It can be said as a collection of more than two LANs.
- It uses a high capacity backbone technoogy such as optical fiber links.
WAN : Wide Area Network
- It spans a state or a country or a group .
- It can be said as a collection of more than two MANs.
PAN : Personal Area Network
- It is limited over an area within radii of 10m
- It can be used in a single room or local network of a computer other peripherals like keyboard, mouse, usb etc.
- It can be wireless network of Bluetooth or WLAN.
VPN : Virtual Private Network
- A VPN or Virtual Private Network is a network connection that enables you to create a secure connection over the public Internet to private networks at a remote location.
- A VPN available from the public Internet can provide some of the benefits of a wide area network (WAN).
- A VPN is created by establishing a virtual point-to-point connection through the use of dedicated connections, virtual tunneling protocols, or traffic encryption.
- It may be a bigger MAN or WAN dedicated for a single organisation.