Data Link Layer :
Data Link Layer functions include –
- Framing : It divides the stream of bits received from the Network Layer into manageable data units called Frames.
- Physical Addressing : Adding header to the frame to define the physical address of the sender or receiver of the frame.
- Flow Control : If the rate at which the data is absorbed by receiver is less than that of sent from the sender, flow control mechanism is used to prevent the loss of data.
- Error Control : DLL adds functionality to detect and re-transmit the damaged, lost or redundant frames.
- Access Control : DLL helps in controlling the access to the shared channel.
- Transmission unit is Frames