- Dispatcher is the another component involved in the CPU-scheduling function.
- The dispatcher is the module that gives control of the CPU to the process selected by the short-term scheduler.
- This function involves the following:
- Switching context
- Switching to user mode
- Jumping to the proper location in the user program to restart that program
- The dispatcher should be as fast as possible, since it is invoked during every process switch.
- The time it takes for the dispatcher to stop one process and start another running is known as the dispatch latency